Monday, March 22, 2010

Thursday Night Figure Drawing

Leslie has a figure drawing class every Thursday night when there are enough of us there to paint or draw. Generally, I like to do rough 3 or 5 minutes poses and use charcoal or conte crayon instead of the longer poses. It's exhausting but exhilarating. There are many things that I think that an artist can slide by on, but drawing the human figure is not one of them. For me, it's one of the hardest things that I try to do. I don't feel as if I get what I want at the end of the day, but the exercise is worthwhile. It forces me to think very carefully and to check my drawing over and over again for the correct proportions and for accuracy. If you don't get it right, then you end up with weird looking people that we all know, just can't be. This is a small oil and I have a very ornate frame I might put it in. I'm not sure who would want a picture of Kendall, but it seems lately that my least favorite pieces are the ones that sell.

No comments: