Saturday, August 7, 2010

Thoughts about Copies or "Fake Art"

I was just looking through my Facebook stuff and there was a message from ArtHash soliciting comments about "Fake Art". Interesting topic, I'm not sure whether the author defined clearly what "Fake Art" is and what it implies. I do know though, that in college in the 70's as an art student, I was NEVER instructed to copy a famous painting in any style, way or fashion. My art teacher in high school also strictly forbade copying of any kind. It wasn't until I was taking a class years later in Monterey, that my instructor made us copy drawings in order to learn the technique and approach of a famous artist. I chose Michelangelo. And yes, I did learn something.And no, I would never attempt to sell any copies of any kind to anyone. It was strictly an exercise, nothing more.
Unlike some artists that I know, I believe that you are learning and becoming better and wiser and your work grows as long as you continue to push yourself, not to perfection as this is impossible-but just to create better work. Self-editing and critique are imperative. I look at stuff that I created years ago and can only laugh. Only occasionally do I look at my work and feel satisfaction.
Copying famous work, or not so famous work, does have a learning purpose and I am all for that. Whether or not there is a market for it and or whether it should be sold is another question altogether. I do know that people buy what they like and I am always astounded sometimes at what finds its way into the marketplace and into homes and collections. I also know that the world is a very large place with plenty of room for all kinds of art and that I can only do my own thing, set my own standards and mind my own little pea-patch.

No comments: