Friday, December 31, 2010

$500,000 House and $26.98 Lousy Print...What Gives?

I suppose with it being New Year's Eve, I will allow myself a bit of a rant. I am hoping that someone out there will help me to understand something...
I know plenty of people who live in beautiful homes, drive nice cars, are meticulous in caring for their lawns and take pride in how their home looks. So, will somebody please tell me how these same folks haven't a clue about hanging ORIGINAL art in their homes. They go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and buy goofy, poorly reproduced, fakey prints and hang this stuff on their walls. They wouldn't dream of wearing fake diamonds or walk upon machine made Oriental rugs versus hand made carpets...so what gives? They spend more money on clothing and designer handbags than one could ever imagine, then throw "art" from Tuesday Morning or some other place where thousands of other people flock to purchase one of a bazillion bad pieces of "art".
Can someone explain this to me?
Ok...now I'm finished ranting....
Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Clyde said...

People never cease to amaze me. There is a lot of hidden talent out there. I am always inspired when I visit the OTA Studio. The works there are what I call 'real' art. Art that comes from the heart, head and hands. I studied art appreciation, but was absent the day they taught Understanding Art. When something doesn't make sense or doesn't appeal to me, I assume it's my own fault. Who's to say what is or isn't art? When I lived in Ghent, if I didn't have any of my art or my friends' art to fill an empty spot, I'd check out something from the library. I can't remember ever hanging a print and would never buy one unless I wanted the frame for something else. That's worse than putting recapped tires on a Cadillac. An original piece does more than dress a wall. It makes a statement. It says something about the artist and the person who was smart enough to share it.
There. That's my New Year's rant.