Monday, March 21, 2011

Gallery Wrap or Frame?

As I start preparing for the Norfolk Academy Art Show at the end of April, I wonder whether which paintings to include, what will sell the best, what prices, whether to frame or not....the list goes on. Sometimes it's a gamble with my choices and sometimes you can hit the jackpot. I have learned that moving artwork around in expensive frames is problematic at best--nicks, scratches, dents and dings seem to be inevitable. Also, I have noticed at the many shows I have attended that absolutely lovely artwork, placed in an inappropriate frame, is a sales killer.
I personally love gallery wrapped canvas and have talked to many who come into the studios and love the way the lack of a frame doesn't impose upon the art.  But I have also talked with people about frames, and many think that having a frame is a bonus and they are happy to not have to worry about the effort in purchasing one. 
With smaller work, maybe under 6x8 or 8x10, I always frame it unless there are several that are supposed to be hung together. A nice plein aire frame with a wide border allows the work to become more important and easier for someone to image placing in their home.
Taste in frames vary so widely that it's a difficult call. I think that the work should still speak for itself, but sometimes I feel that there aren't many who agree with me on this one. To frame or not, that is the question.

No comments: