Monday, May 16, 2011

Lexington, Virginia - A Palette of Places, the Virginia Military Institute

With the anniversary of the Battle of Newmarket approaching on May 15th, I wanted to get this painting in before this date. If you know anything about this battle, you know that ten, very young, courageous cadets died. Every year at VMI, in a very somber ceremony, to honor these fallen cadets, all of their names are read aloud. The first time I witnessed this it was a very heart wrenching event, just as all the Civil War was for our country. I have spent alot of time over the years in Lexington and the parades always delight and amaze me at their precision. All that together makes for a different Palette for my recollections of Lexington. Ten red trees-ten fallen cadets and the ever present sand colored buildings on the campus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful and I love the symbolism behind it!