Friday, August 12, 2011

Portsmouth Plein Aire Painting

A lovely day, good light and a charming view of a white picket fence and houses in Portsmouth. When the weather is great it is wonderful to be outdoors, but when things get hot and sticky or buggy and rainy, I fade pretty fast. There are wonderful plein aire painters that endure all kinds of things in order to "catch the light" and I'm afraid that I'm not one of them. So, deciding to paint outside is often a last minute thing, when the weather report looks good and my French easel is packed.  I love the challenge of trying to work very fast and to focus intently on the subject and to edit quickly in order to capture a scene. When people stop to talk and watch, I have to say that it makes me self conscious and that I have never been really comfortable with it as some painters are. I hope to get some painting done when I travel to Lexington and can catch those great Blue Ridge mountains and the Shenandoah Valley. After that, I'm off to Charleston to do some painting there. If the weather doesn't cooperate, I will instead do other things like visit galleries and shops or sketch and take photos for painting later in my studio...or simply just wander. We will see.

No comments: