Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Music Imperative to Painting

Almost always when I paint, I listen to music either from my Ipod, my computer or from Pandora radio. I have broken down my music into different playlists on my Ipod and listen to them depending upon the mood I am in and what I am painting. My lists break into: Mellow Tunes, Oldies, Instrumental, Gregorian Chant, Party, Dinner Party, Classical, and Jazz. On Pandora, I have Michele McLaughlin, Oldies, George Winston, James Taylor, Squirrel Nut Zippers, John Mayer and Gotan Project to name only a few. Without music, I'm not sure what painting for me would be all about. It helps me get to that "no mind" place very quickly, especially with some tunes that I have listened to over and over again through the years. I really should keep trying to branch out a little more and Pandora helps quite a bit with suggesting new songs and musicians. More often than not, it really must be something so good that I will stop painting, walk over to my computer and take a note of who the musician or group is. So, for your listening enjoyment, my Top Ten Favorites...
10. Kenny Loggins-I like his old stuff when he was with Jim Messina
9.   Michael Buble-Yeah, I know...can't help it though
8.  Joni Mitchell-this is inbedded in my brain from college
7.  James Taylor-fell in love to this music, got my heart broken to this music and will always love it.
6.  Nat King Coleand Ray Charles-classics
5.  Frank Sinatra-how can you not love this guy?
4.  Norah Jones-miss mellow
3.  Benedictine Monks Chant-sometimes you just have to get serious
2. John Mellencamp, John Mayer and Van Morrison...had to put these guys together so I didn't have more    than 10!
1. Gotan Project-this and a number of classical guitarists

The small pastel above is an oldie drawn from a small farmhouse by a lake outside of Garmisch.

No comments: