Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Drawing Like a Child Is a Gift We Lose

The Girl Scouts that came to visit the gallery did a lovely thing. They sent me wonderful, lovely, exuberant pictures  they drew in order to thank me for speaking with them.  The thanks are all mine. Leslie and I looked at these incredible drawings and could only grin from ear to ear and talk about how free and loose these paintings were. They have a place of honor at Blue Skies on a big wall in the break room where all of the other artists can enjoy them and be inspired. They ARE inspiring!
How do we lose that abandon and freshness in our own work? Why do we fall into painting ruts and fail to force ourselves to try new things?
What is it that we allow to get in the way and keep us from working with new eyes?

What is it that makes us afraid so that we run from what is really inside?



I don't have the answer to any of this, but I know that somewhere along the way, we often get "squashed" and it's very hard to recover from that. I learned a lot from these darling girls, and it is that one can never be too encouraging, too loving, too enthusiastic when working with the hopes and dreams of the very young.

No comments: