Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Advantages of Switching Between Acrylics and Oils

I know that I have groused and grumbled repeatedly about acrylic paints and how difficult they can be to manage. But these "Water Paintings" I have been working on have forced me to make peace with them. Both mediums are so different from one another, yet still so similar that one would think of them as siblings from the same family, only raised far away from one another. I think of acrylics as sort of the west coast relative...progressive and edgy and still not quite polished.  While oils are from some English city; refined and dignified and a bit snotty. But both are unique and have characteristics that allow me to choose which is best for whatever my subject matter is to be. These water paintings are best in acrylic because they can have a transparency that shows subtlety under and on top of the water that I think is much more difficult to express in oil. I also think of acrylics as "cooler" and lacking in the warmth and richness of oils. The biggest difference of all is the drying time, which can be painfully long with oils and wonderfully short with acrylics.
I can cover great amounts of the canvas in a relatively short time with acrylics as the paint goes down quickly and I work quickly as well in order to avoid too much paint drying on my palette. I mix my palette carefully with oils and know that my paint can sit there all day as I work it into the canvas. Mixing with acrylics is a whole other matter...I seldom mix on the canvas as it almost always dries too quickly and the results are not always predictable. Mixing on the canvas in oils allows for subtle shading and smaller detail that I simply haven't figured out how to do in acrylics yet.
I have learned from each of these mediums and think more about underpainting and layering as a result of working with acrylics. I have brought to acrylics my experience in mixing colors from oils and know that what is often a gentle shift or change in color or shade is still perceived by the mind and can often make or break a painting.
This painting is called Only a Motion, is acrylic, and is 36x36. I took a photo to work from while in Sonoma, CA, recently and the reflection of the red flower intrigued me the most.

No comments: