Thursday, October 17, 2013

Water Lilies Painting


I can only fit so much into the back of my Volvo. So I decided to paint on two canvases instead of one. Each canvas measures 30x40, so together it measures 60x40. The challenge here was to make sure that each canvas could stand on its own and then make the images work together. I moved them around quite a bit to finish all of the edges and to link them in color and shape. There are a ton of water lilies in Brackenridge Park which is not far from where we live. It's a lovely tree shaded place where there are birds and walking paths and lovely old oaks. The cool shade the trees provide is a welcome respite from the San Antonio heat. Yes, I'm still into doing water images, and yes I know that lilies have been done many times before. I was telling a friend about the intimidating task of painting lilies and that my fear was that it was a bit trite. She simply said, no one paints as you, so go for it!  These are painted in acrylics and it was a good thing because I had them on the floor, on the table and on the easel and the quick drying time make this so much easier.

2 comments:

Liz said...

This is so beautiful Laura, you are so talented!

Kathy said...

Laura, I really like this one. I think you are getting better with age!!